Friday, November 30, 2012


11/30/12:  The days we spent in Surprise were relaxing, just did some shopping, reading, and used the pool and hot tub.  We also went to see the Christmas lights in downtown Glendale.  Then we headed southwest to Benson, about 45 miles past Tuscon.  Its a sleepy old railroad town that time seems to have forgotten for the most part.  Our reason for staying there was to see a few local sights.
First was Kartchner Caverns.  They are a rather recent discovery, although first entered in 1974, they were not open to the public until 1999.  Arizona went to great lengths to be sure they could be visited without disturbing their natural state inside.  They are beautiful, very colorful and with many types of stalactites, stalagmites, and other formations.  No photos are allowed, sorry.
OK Corral, Tombstone, AZ

 The next day we went south to the old west town of Tombstone.  There is an excellent museum in the old courthouse with lots of memorabilia and information about the history of the area.  The town buildings now hold shops and other businesses, but still retain their original look.  Of course it is a bit commercialized, with cowboys that will take you on tours or do reinactments of gunfights for a fee.  We
Allen St, Tombstone, AZ
  enjoyed looking around.  Then we went on to Bisbee, an old mining town.  It is quaint, but not as nicely preserved and restored as Park City.  Today we drove through plenty of boring desert to get to Las Cruses, New Mexico.  Till next week....


old territorial courthouse
the gallows


Bisbee, AZ

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog idea and I'm looking forward to traveling the US vicariously through you guys. I spent my childhood in Southern Arizona. I lived in Douglas for 5 years and then, after my parents' divorce, spent my summers with my Dad in good old Bisbee...so this is home to me in many ways. Have Fun and I'll look forward to next weeks' entry.

    ReplyDelete